Saturday 18 December 2010

New Chasis and electrics




Posted by PicasaAfter spending several hours building a very nice metal chasis then finding it did not work because my motors were shorting out throught the chasis I had to remake the chasis in wood. I chose 18mm MDF, an old bit I had lying around and simple cut it to the same template as the metal one. Once everything was bolted back on and the metal top struts replaced for a wood platform on which to mount the elctronics I started on the electronics.
The speed control was taken care of by a SabreTooth Dual 25A
Receiver was a Spektrum 6200
Fuse 30A, Switch rated at 30A and an LED that changes colour depending on the battery voltage level.
I have yet to get hold of some decent batteries so for testing I am using an old 5Amp scooter battery at 12v.

Once everything was connected up and powered up it all worked fine and was great fun zipping around my kitchen.
The next step is to sort out the belt tensioners which I made up as steel plates. These will have holes drilled in them and a bracket made up that will allow tension to be added or removed from the drive belts.
Once I decide what size batteries to get hold of and if I will go for 12 or 24v I will make up some batteriy boxes and mount them. I still have no idea what the body of this droid is going to look like, I supose I better do some sketches and come up with some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment